"Life is the price we pay for running away from death "
































































"... the search for lost things is hindered by routine habits and that is why it is so difficult to find them." - One hundred years of solitude (so-called classic by Gabriel Marquez)

This book came into my purview as part of my 'Bucket List'. I have been interested in Mr. Marquez's writing ever since I bumped into him in the list of Literature Nobel Laureates. They told me this was his best novel. Having read about his Latin American background, his journo profession and finally his connection with the revolutionary Fidel Castro - I never expected the book to be what it turned out to be. The book heightened my respect for Mr.Marquez as a brilliant narrator with an exquisite skill at creating magical sense of reality but being contrary to my expectations, it finally ended up being just an item scratched out of my list.

Magic Realism - that was a new genre for me even though I felt I had already tasted it in the likes of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. But seems Marquez's realism is not so much to entertain as it is to psyche. It sometimes becomes so much of a dense collage of such innumerable facets that the reader is bound to lose his grip on reasonable reality (if not his mind) for one snap of a moment. But there is more spaghetti code to it - with the intermingling of both cyclic and linear chronology of events (never affixing a date to things), repetition of names across generations (and characteristics with names) and creating a geography where only Macondo is absolute and everything relative to it (though Macondo itself loses shape and identity over the course). Overall, starting from a castle built in the air the plot ends up being a labyrinth in the haze. I was left questioning when and how did the 100 years pass and more importantly where exactly was the solitude?
Categories: