"Life is the price we pay for running away from death "
































































"He was hot! The most eligible bachelor of my college. When we  both joined the same office, I was the happiest girl on earth. I could make some excuse and talk to him everyday. In a few days, he seemed to be attracted to me too. I was a single mother but he never really seemed uncomfortable with it. Why not? I too accepted him inspite of all his countless affairs and break-ups..."

"Then one day, he invited me to his house for dinner. I would have expected him to come to my house first, to meet my kid, but anyways.. I let him accept me totally first. He would, some day, accept the kid too. At his home, we had the most fabulous dinner and then he made the move.. he kissed me! I felt a warmth of acceptance in it.. so I didn't stop him when he lifted me and carried me into his bedroom.."

"Since then, he started making excuses to meet at his house. As often as almost every alternate day. I should say he was quite a wild man. I had the same passion too. When he was close to the climax, he would start singing songs of love. I loved the way he held me, gave me all his attention. Now that his love for me was at a peak, I suggested he come to my house and spend sometime with the kid"

"That night, his tone had changed. He had started giving confused answers, sometimes sounding like excuses. Was he trying to say he wanted me, but not my kid? How cold of him. Lusty bastard... says he would have proposed to me if I didn't have a kid. I can never live with a man who ignores my kid..."

"I couldn't see his useless face anymore, so I quit the job and moved down south. Stayed with my sister for a few days, and then found a new job... where I met this man..."

"At first he appeared cold. Only stuck to his job and not interested in any ladies at all. Where was all his testosterone gone? But then, one day it all changed. We had a family day at the office and I went there with my kid. You wouldn't believe how this boring man all of a sudden changed into the most interesting one. He may not be a lover-boy but he was the perfect father-material. He played with my kid all the time.. and for the first time, I saw my kid hugging him like a kid hugs a father."

"I started making excuses to talk to him, and one day I invited him home for dinner. At home, we had the most fabulous dinner and then he made the move.. he ran into the kid's room and started playing ball. My kid had a whale of a time but the dude never even noticed that I was there too."

"Since then, he started making excuses to come to my house. As often as almost every alternate day. I should say he was quite a parental guy. But he seemed to forget me when the kid was around. He never invited me over to his house. I started wondering if the guy even knew how to show love to a woman. One day after the kid went to sleep, I suggested that we meet at his house the next time."

"That night, his tone changed. He started giving confused answers, sometimes sounding like excuses. Was he trying to say he loved the kid, but not me? I can't live with a guy who shoves me aside like that... never!"

"Why can't I just find a man who's hot enough to give me that warm hug when I feel cold, hot enough to not get cold feet looking at my kid, hot enough to not give my passions the cold shoulder.. but then I don't want a hot-headed guy, he should be cool too.."

"I quit this job too.. and I am moving again.."

------------------------------------------------------------------

The intention, here, is not to evaluate the attitudes of single mothers, but rather an attempt to bring some focus on their condition and vulnerability.

When I say 'single mothers', I would also include those married women, who take care of their families single-handedly and whose husbands are given to reckless and irresponsible behavior.

As long as there are single mothers in our society, we can never claim salvation as a community.
Categories: