"A profound unmitigated loneliness is the only truth of life"
- R.K. Narayan




Credit: Song 'Tum Hi Ho..'  (trans. 'You are the one..') from Aashiqui 2 (2013).

I am an occasional listener of music. Like the social drinker who takes the sip only when compelled by company, I feel impelled towards music, really drawn, whenever loneliness strikes a chord. It was in one of those moments that I put on this song 'Tum Hi Ho.." (1), wore my headphones and lost myself in a world of percussive reverberations. But today something interesting happened.. As the song began, I felt an unconscious urge, an instinctive reaction, to press the music player to my chest, as close to the heart as possible and lie down with closed eyes. The scene must have resembled a doctor listening intently to a patient's heartbeat. But here the patient was the doctor himself, and I am sure it must have looked funny - listening to a bollywood song with a meditative pose.

And the song played on.. 
Tera mera rishta hai kaisa,
Ek pal door gawara nahin,
Tere liye har roz hai jeete,
Tujhko diya mera waqt sabhi,
Koi lamha mera na ho tere bina,
Har saans pe naam tera....   (2)

And then, right there, it struck me, the truth behind that funny posture. That song was not a love ballad between a man and a woman anymore. It was my heart, singing to me. My heart, it seemed, had finally made the move, to speak to me. Maybe it feared something? I don't know. Nevertheless, I went over the words again, and again.. and it looked so relevant, so beautiful. And very soon I realized: It's what our hearts say to us with every beat, and how often we miss to listen?

"Har saans pe naam tera.. " My every breath (beat) is for you. How so apt.

I, suddenly, began to wonder if there was ever a better example for dedicated love, than a heart shows to its owner? Almost all organs of our body take rest at some time or the other, and many of them have back-ups too. Even the mind (which we so much associate with our inflated egos) shuts down during sleep. But the heart continues on... with no break or rest, and never complaining. Every heart, in every beat, speaks a story of dedication and untiring commitment. And all hearts speak the same language; no matter who their owner is; man or woman; young or old; king or slave; genius or imbecile.

Every beat of the heart is love in action. A living, pulsating example of devotion. Isn't that what every love song eventually turns out to be? Dig it deep, lift it high, and love is just a form of devotion. From every corpuscle to its heart, from every heart to its human, from every human to his God. An unbroken, unfailing stream of devotion. No wonder we use the heart as the symbol of love, and when we love someone, we think of them as living in our heart!

Finally, in passing, a message to all the hearts of the world, all that ever were, are and will be:

 (heart) you!

===================================
(1) The song is such a raging hit that even a novice could easily find it on youtube (or similar).
(2) Translates roughly to:
The bond between you and me is such,
that there isn't a minute of separation.
I live every passing day for you,
I dedicate all my life to you.
Not a moment I live, without you,
My every breath has your name on it.
Categories: