"Life is the price we pay for running away from death "
































































He was having a stressful morning and could not focus on his work. As was his usual practice he decided to browse the Net and watch some news to unwind himself. But the breaking news of the day was incidentally not a joyous one.

War had broken out in the Arabian world. As he watched the news, he thumped his fist on the table. "Hooligans!" he shouted softly. He wiped a sweat off his brow and looked at the flickering light on the false-ceiling above. "This way we just cannot make it work. I mean, as a species, we are just going to lose it all."
 
He turned his attention back to the news, to the visuals of mobs rampaging a city-centre and then of bombings in the desert. "This violence is going to consume us all someday soon. It's a curse that we have to put up with a limited world - where everything is in short supply. It is funny how God gave us an unlimited capacity to reproduce but placed us squarely in a finite world." He chuckled at the smart joke and picked up his phone to look at his reflection, maybe for a quick admiration of himself.
 
"When we began to multiply so rapidly, it was obvious we would hit a resource crunch someday. Where the hell was our rationality when all this was happening? And lo, today, there is a shortage of everything. Land, water, food, everything, and how do we work to resolve the problem? We fight. Bloody hell. If at all we could pause for a moment and see what we are turning our beautiful world into." He looked up at the flickering light again, and hoped that they would change it soon.
 
"Why can't we just share it graciously? In fact, if we all sit together and work it out peacefully, I believe, there is actually enough for all of us. It is because we fight and get stressed that the picture seems far worse than it actually is. Competition! that's the dark fact that blinds our eyes. We got to bloody compete everytime. We are so obsessed with owning things and being branded as victors. Why can't we just cooperate and share gracefully? Cooperate guys, cooperate..."
 
Just then his phone beeped. It was a text message from his wife: "Hey, can we please talk when you are free, and a little relaxed?" He immediately called her up.
 
"Hey, tell me, what's up?"
 
"I needed to tell you something important. Please don't get upset. I am sure we can work it out peacefully."

"Yeah, please tell me what happened."

"From the past few days, remember those messages I keep getting all night. I am sorry I lied to you. It wasn't about work. It was Sunil, my ex-boyfriend from college."

"What the hell?"

"Yeah. But don't get upset dear. Nothing's gone wrong. I called him up today. He seems to be in a bad shape. Says he is not able to move on from me. I told him about my situation and that he needs to manage himself, but he is pleading me to still be friends with him."

"What's wrong with him? What does he mean by still being friends? You can't be friends anymore, once you broken up from an affair. No way."

"But dear," the wife interrupted him, "please don't be so judgemental. Sunil was a nice guy. He is just very emotional that's all. Why can't we all look at it maturely dear? There's nothing wrong in having a friendly connect."

"Hey you, what's wrong with you? Are you nuts? Are you asking me to share you with him? What is in your head, tell me? Some sharing deal huh?"

"Honey, please calm down. Please handle this matter gracefully ya. Please don't get violent. I am stuck here. You need to cooperate with my situation..."
 
"Cooperate, my foot" and he banged the phone down.



.
Categories: