"A profound unmitigated loneliness is the only truth of life"
- R.K. Narayan




Suresh ran down the stairs, hastily mounted his bike, fiercely pushed it off its stand, kicked started it and revved the accelerator like the lights of the racetrack just went green, and left in a huff. "Bloody relatives..." he gasped as he shot out of the gate onto the road.
 
Suresh was a dedicated teacher - one of the most popular in his school. His discipline, timeliness, and rapport with the students was exemplary. He never missed the morning assembly, and today he was running late thanks to his relatives.
 
"What uneducated people," Suresh grumbled as he squeezed his bike through the slow-moving traffic, "God! why did you even create relatives? They come unannounced and then mess up our daily schedule. That uncle sat in the bathroom for an hour and delayed me. And then they sat chatting with my wife and made me miss my breakfast."
 
He could feel his stomach growling even in the midst of the blaring traffic.
 
"If I make the wrong kind of friends, then, yes, blame me. But if I have irritating relatives, then am I to blame? These blood relations are made by God, isn't it? Why should I suffer for some bad connections that God made? Why do I need such relatives anyway? They add no value to my life, bring me no happiness or pride. Such unruly and dirty people. No sense of hygiene or cleanliness. No discipline. They eat all day and talk in such a loud tone," Suresh thought as he blared his bike horn to make way for himself, "God! how do I dissociate myself from these filthy useless creatures?"
 
He turned the alley and reached his school. The assembly was just done. Phew! he thought, as the classes were yet to start. He hurriedly parked the bike and rushed to his class. Students stood up to greet him.
 
"Good morning, children!" Suresh smiled and gestured them to be seated, "Today we will study the next chapter on vertebrates. The animals that fall in the hominid family. We, the homo-sapiens, fall in this group but we are not alone. We share this class with many other amazing animals like the orang-utans, gibbons, and chimpanzees."
 
The children made funny faces. Some growled and gestured menacingly like the apes. "Monkeys, monkeys..." someone squeaked and the class burst out laughing.
 
"Don't you dare make fun of them," Suresh reprimanded his students with a stern look, "they are intelligent creatures too. We all belong to one family. The apes are like our cousins, our relatives. You should learn to treat them respectfully, okay?"
 
"Okay sir!" answered the class in chorus, while some tried to hide their stifled chuckles. Suresh knew that, just like every other day, this day is going to be fun-filled too.
 
"Alas!" he thought, "anything... to take my mind off those relatives at home."
 
 
 
.
Categories: